Military Enlisted members are provided monetary allowances to pay for uniform replacement and maintenance. These allowances are based on the cost of specific uniform items, and on an estimated “wear out” date for each specific item. The clothing allowance typically is paid on the anniversary of the day members entered the military. There are four main types of clothing allowance:
1. Initial Clothing Allowance:
Both officers and enlisted members of the U.S. Navy are entitled to an initial clothing allowance. Officers, however, are only entitled to the allowance once except in the situation noted below:
- Upon first reporting for active duty (other than for training) for a period of more than 90 days.
- Upon completing at least 14 days of active duty or active duty for training as a member of a Reserve Component
- Upon completing 14 periods of inactive-duty training as a member of the Ready Reserve (Each period must be of at least 2 hours duration).
- Upon reporting for the first period of active duty required of a member of the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program.
- NOTE: Upon transfer to another Reserve Component that requires a different uniform, a Reserve officer may receive another initial uniform allowance. Regular officers may not receive this allowance when transferring to another Military Service.
This allowance is provided to enlisted members upon initial enlistment or upon special qualification.
|Navy Standard Initial Clothing Allowance (Enlisted Members Only)|
2. Cash Clothing Replacement Allowance:
This allowance is payable only to enlisted members annually following initial clothing allowance on the anniversary month. This is for the replacement of uniforms based on normal wear and tear.
|Navy Cash Clothing Replacement Allowance (Enlisted Members Only)|
3. Extra Clothing Allowance:
Extra Clothing Allowance are additional to the other two and do not affect them. These allowance are for situations in which a member may need additional uniforms or is required to have civilian clothing to perform his/her duties.
|Civilian Clothing Allowance|
|Type of Duty||Initial||Replacement||15 days in 30
|30 days in 36
4. Military Clothing Maintenance Allowance:
This allowance is for replacement and maintenance of military items during and after three years of active duty. If a member has a break in military service, he/she will start over with the initial clothing allowance upon returning to the service. He/She will then receive Cash Clothing Replacement Allowance and Military Clothing Maintenance Allowance as applicable.